The Department of Environmental Engineering was established in 1983 to produce high quality engineers with capability on planning, design, construction and operation of environmental pollution control systems including wastewater treatment systems, solid waste and hazardous waste disposal and management, air and noise pollution control, water supply systems, building sanitation, etc. Graduates will also be proficient in environmental management including pollution prevention, environmental impact assessment, environmental management system, etc.
The Department also has high potential and capability on research in terms of equipments, personnel, and fund. Research has been supported by the Research Center for Environmental and Hazardous Substance Management established under the budget of Khon Kaen University. This research center is affiliated with the National Excellent Center for Environment and Hazardous Waste Management under the consortium network of 8 universities, which strengthen the research university network. In addition, the industry-university cooperation research has been financially supported by government and private sectors such as TRF, NSTDA, industry, etc. Research dissemination have been regularly accomplished through publications, and actual implementation of research results in industries, communities, etc.
Besides the strong research activities, the Department actively provides academic services through the Environment Management Center, which is an organization within the Faculty of Engineering that provides services in the following area:
- Analysis of environmental samples: water, wastewater, soil, sediment, air, noise, etc.
- Consultation for water and environmental pollution control system: water supply, wastewater, solid waste, hazardous waste, air pollution, noise pollution
- Environmental Quality Action Plan
- Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA)
- Monitoring of Environmental Quality – Water, air, and noise
- Environmental Data Base System
The Department has modern equipments and laboratories, which enable analyses of a range of environmental quality parameters such as water, wastewater, air, noise, solid waste, and hazardous waste, etc. The Department also has a library and computer laboratory for self-learning and independent study.
- Chemical Analysis Laboratory
- Microbiological Analysis Laboratory
- Undergraduate and Graduate Project Laboratory
- Hazardous Substance Laboratory (in collaboration with the Research Center for Environmental and Hazardous Substance Management)Research Areas:
- Hazardous Substance and Wastes Management
- Wastewater Treatment
- Pollution Management in the Pong River
- Site Selection for Solid and Hazardous Wastes using Geological Information and Mathematical Modeling
- Nanotechnology: applying nano materials for environmental pollution treatment and molecular
biology for bioremediation
- Upflow Anaerobic Sludge Blanket (UASB)
- Waste to Energy- Green Technology
- Development of Mathematical Modeling for Environmental Management